Finding affordable housing
Here are some tricks that have helped me save money on rent in the past. Look over them, see what you think and then contact me if you have any ideas of your own.
- Start looking early. Finding good housing in Provo is getting hard, especially with BYU housing rules. If you start looking early you have more options and can get better deals.
- Always ask the manager if they give group discounts. (most do). Sign as a group, if you don't have a group try and form one. Even if you aren't moving in the same room, sometimes just moving into the same complex is enough.
- Look for students who are selling contracts. Sometimes students who really want to get out of a contract will give a sweet deal. Check our contract page, check the WilkBoard (BYU's bulletin board), the Daily Universe, UVSC's NetXNews, Craig's List, etc...
- Find out all the details. Sometimes there are hidden fees or high utilities prices. You can always talk with a few current tenants to get an insiders view.
- Do a quick check of apartment's websites. Sometimes they have printable deals or offers.
- Check the apartment's ads in local newspapers and the published housing guides. If an apartment is offering a price, they need to give it to you.
Hopefully, these are some ideas to help you find cheaper housing. Please contact me if you have an idea that can be added to this list.